I’ve been so busy lately and often hadn’t had the time to get myself a proper breakfast, which leaves me feeling tired for the rest of the day. So to remedy this, I’ve created these energizing breakfast muffins that are great for a quick “grab and go” breakfast! These aren’t sweet treat muffins that you can try to fool yourself into thinking make a healthy breakfast, they are wholesome, comforting and nutritious breakfast muffins that really do the job. But they taste amazing too. If you love oatmeal and you love coffee & walnut cake, these are for you!
I’m not a coffee drinker so I don’t get that caffeine buzz like most people do through-out the day (although my chocolate consumption probably more than makes up for that) so I welcome the added coffee in these muffins, which gives an extra energy boost along with a delicious flavour.
- 135 g / 1 1/2 cups oat flour or 180g / 2 cups whole oats, ground into flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 25 g / 1/4 cup whole oats
- 90 g / 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 100 g / 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup / 240ml almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup / 60ml apple puree
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (oat flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and walnuts) in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases, sprinkle a little extra coconut sugar on top and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool completely before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165 Saturated Fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g