I had planned on making meatballs tonight but, as much as I love them, the preparation is time consuming and I was in an extra-lazy mood. Wanting to use up the beef mince I bought, I decided to make chilli and remembered something I’d been wanting to try for a while… Chilli with chocolate! I’d heard lots about it and couldn’t wait to try it for myself. But then I got greedy. Not content with just chocolate, I wanted MORE indulgence. So I added whiskey. Then I added bacon. And I didn’t stop there, I went and added CHEESE to the mix! Once the chilli was cooked, and I’d recovered from my mad scientist episode, I was a little worried I went overboard and had potentially ruined dinner for everyone. I lifted the spoon to taste… and I LOVED it. But was I crazy?? I needed a second opinion. I apprehensively served up portions for everyone else and waited for their response. I was pleased to see an immediate look of glee followed by lots of “oh my gods!” So either we’re all crazy or this is one of the best meals ever!
On tasting this chilli, you will experience an eruption of flavours. Starting with the smooth, dark flavour of the chocolate, then the sweet flavour of the meat and cheese, a spike of the whiskey, followed by a salty, smokey aftertaste of the bacon. It’s addictive! Have you tired chocolate chilli before, what did you think of it?Print
Chocolate, Whiskey & Bacon Chilli
- 900g (2 lbs) beef mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into small chunks
- 50g (2oz) dark chocolate (I used 85%)
- 4 tbsp whiskey
- 4 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the minced beef. Fry for a few minutes before adding the peppers and onion. Fry on a medium heat until the vegetables soften and the meat is browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, spices and seasoning. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed.
- Whilst the chilli is cooking, fry the bacon slices in a separate pan until crispy. Leave to the side for later.
- Once the chilli is cooked, break in the chocolate and stir until completely melted. Stir in the whiskey.
- Serve with the bacon bits and grated cheese. Enjoy!!!
- Serving Size: 6