I’m not a coffee drinker but I LOVE coffee & walnut cake. I was craving some this afternoon and, as always, I was craving chocolate too so I combined the two things into a brownie… and I’m pleased to say they are as delicious as I hoped they would be! They have a squidgy texture with a few crunchy bits from the walnut pieces and a rich, dark flavour. Mmm
Delicious, squidgy, nutty brownies that are gluten-free and dairy-free!
- 200g dark chocolate
- 150g (1 cup) ground almonds
- 6 eggs, separated
- 130g (2/3 cup) palm sugar (or you can use the same amount of caster sugar)
- 50g (1/3 cup) walnuts, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp ground coffee
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease and line a 34 x 20 brownie tin.
- Melt the chocolate by pouring into a heat-proof bowl and stirring over a pot of simmering water.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and leave to one side.
- In another bowl, mix the egg yolks and sugar until well combined. Then add in the ground almonds, coffee and melted chocolate.
- Fold in the egg whites gently, a bit at a time.
- Pour the mixture into the brownie tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When the brownies are baked, leave to cool in the tin for at least 15 minutes before cutting into 24 squares.
I mixed 2 tbsp palm sugar with 2 tbsp arrowroot powder and processed in a grinder until it formed a fine powder, and used this as "icing sugar" to dust the top of the brownies