If you love porridge but don’t always have time in the mornings to sit down and enjoy a bowl, then these muffins are for you!
“Porridge on the go”, if you will. These moist, oaty muffins are subtly sweetened with coconut sugar (a low GI sugar with a caramel flavour) but you can also use brown sugar or a sugar substitute in it’s place.
They’re low fat, high fibre and high protein making them a really healthy breakfast option.
- 60g / ⅔ cup porridge oats (I used Flahavan's Multi Seed Porridge) + extra for topping
- 75g / ½ cup spelt flour or wholewheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml / ½ cup dairy-free yoghurt (I used coconut yoghurt)
- 60ml / ¼ cup almond milk
- 55g / ⅓ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar + extra for topping*
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. and line a muffin tin with 6 cases.
- In a large bowl, stir together the porridge oats, spelt flour, baking powder and soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and top with a few extra oats and a sprinkling of coconut sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until dark golden brown and a cake tester / skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the muffins.
- Leave to cool for at least 5 minutes and enjoy! Can be kept in an airt-tight container for up to 2 days.