Edit: This post was updated on 24/08/16 – Changes include new photos, updated text and clearer recipe instructions.
Since today is such a lovely day and my ice cream maker has miraculously started working again, after months of not switching on, I decided to make some of my favourite ice cream – Blueberry coconut ice cream.
Blueberry and coconut aren’t necessarily flavours you’d expect to go especially well together but for some reason, the combination is wonderful.
The sharpness of the blueberries against the creamy backdrop of the coconut. SO good.
Pus, that colour!
This ice cream is:
- 720 ml / 3 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 200 g / 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup maple syrup
- A big squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional 1 tbsp alcohol, such as vodka or gin
- Mix all the ingredients, except the alcohol, together in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in the alcohol, if using.
- Pour into a container and chill overnight.
Instructions for using an ice cream maker
- Once the mixture is chilled, you simply need to add it to your ice cream machine, following the manufacturer's instructions. Once churned, add to a shallow, freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Instructions without using an ice cream maker
- If you have a stand mixer with a metal bowl, you can freeze the bowl overnight and "churn" the ice cream using the paddle attachment.
- Otherwise, you will need to whisk the mixture well before freezing it and may need to check on it a couple of times and whisk again to add lot's of air to it and prevent it turning icy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3421 Saturated Fat: 142g Sodium: 265mg Carbohydrates: 521g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 492g Protein: 14g
Buy now - £6.99
WANT MORE VEGAN ICE CREAM RECIPES?My book, Coconut Milk Ice Cream, has over 80 recipes that are not only DELICIOUS and vegan but also free from refined sugars, gluten-free & paleo-friendly.